Originally published October 01, 2015. Updated November 06, 2016.
With the release of iOS 9 and OS X El Capitan, Apple improved Notes so much that I feel comfortable moving from Evernote to Apple Notes.
What I Like About Apple Notes
In no particular order:
- Inline photos
- PDF attachments
- Voicemail attachments
- Siri and Spotlight search, including attachments
- Nice web links when shared from Safari
What I Want Added
This is a roughly ordered list; top 3 are top 3.
- Web clipper: currently, sharing from Safari is only a link. Saving a nicely formatted version of a page to a note is tedious (open the Safari Reader view, select everything (Select All isn’t even an option in this view), copy, open Notes, paste, go through and restore formatting, then copy and paste each image you want to save).
- Tags, tags, tags. Folders aren’t good enough.
- Markdown support
- Ability to send Mail messages to Notes
- URL scheme for opening specific notes while in other apps
- Get rid of the texture already!
- Note annotation
- Drawing mode integrated into the Note more, rather than being a tool separate from text
In-app PDF annotation: If I can do this in Mail on iOS, there’s no reason to leave it out of Notes. I think it’s more useful here, actually.This has been added, but can still be greatly improved with more, less cumbersome tools.